Thursday, June 3, 2010

En Casa

Well so I've been here for 48 hours now and I definitely am digging the house. It's big and beautiful with a pool and indoor/ outdoor kitchen and living room and my pool house is nice and private, especially when the only two inhabitants of the house live upstairs. That being said, this whole volunteering thing is going a bit differently than expected. I've spent the last two days working with the spay and neuter program of the organization. Now, I know what you're thinking-- shouldn't this be microcredit work? Well that will start soon enough but for now I am just getting a feel for the organization and doing something useful since they are a bit shorthanded. Plus it's comforting to help out with something I am used to working on since my high school days at the veterinarian clinic.

So, what is Bucerias like? Well let's just say it's quite the lesson in contrasts. For example, I walk outside of my gated compound house to a dusty street with cars parked wherever they can fit and trucks driving up and down selling everything from water to gas to fruit to political slogans. Then, to get into town, I continue down a street, sometimes paved, sometimes not to cross the busy highway (did I mention that to turn left, cars must get all the way in the right hand lane and wait for the light?). Finally, it's down some dirt streets to the main street in town where there are a fair share of tourist restaurants that this time of year are rather dead since it's the low season, and if I chose the right street, to the beach which is peppered with a mix of Mexican locals, tourists, and gringos.

Now what about the people? All of the Mexicans I have met are quick to smile, especially when you use a bit of Spanish, and just want to help you out. Of course, I still do feel a bit out of place at times, being the only gringa walking around, but I feel safe nevertheless.

I'll let you know how the actual volunteering goes, especially once I get going on the microcredit stuff. In the meantime, I do miss all of you, especially since I feel a bit more on my own then usual. But what am I complaining about? Time to go and get some tacos!

1 comment:

  1. "It's big and beautiful with a pool and indoor/outdoor kitchen and living room and my pool house is nice and private."

    Your dear aunt and uncle will be there tomorrow. Please meet us at the airport. Also, we like our wine lightly chilled.

    ReplyDelete